We first announced Cris Tales during E3 2019 as a title from a Colombian developer that was combining inspiration from some of their favorite JRPGs of all time with their own experiences living in Colombia to create something uniquely their own. Today, we’re extremely excited to give you the chance to play some of what Dreams Uncorporated and Syck created in the demo now available on Xbox One.
Cris Tales will let you experience past, present and future simultaneously both in and out of the game’s turn-based combat – and to sometimes remarkable results. In combat, you’ll be able to push your enemies into the past or future to see another version of them and to alter their powers. Play around a little bit with status effects, and you might find some interesting results!
In the demo you’ll experience the beginning of Crisbell’s journey in Crystallis. You’ll witness the awakening of her unique power to see the past, present and future simultaneously, and meet the first of her companions: Matias, Cristopher, and Willhelm.
As the demo opens, you’ll find yourself in Crisbell’s hometown of Narim. The town’s central feature is a large cathedral within which Crisbell first discovers her unique powers. This cathedral is also one of the first places you might notice the developer’s Colombian heritage making its way into Cris Tales. Built inside a canyon of the Guáitara River in Colombia’s southern region of Nariño you’ll find the gorgeous Santuario de Las Lajas.
This towering Gothic cathedral was built to defy gravity and rises within the canyon itself. It’s a man-made wonder within the natural wonder of the canyon itself.
After visiting the Cathedral, Crisbell discovers her time powers and meets Matias, her friendly froggy companion. Matias can aid Crisbell by hopping into the past or future to do small tasks or help Crisbell learn information that might impact her present. This bright yellow frog also comes from Colombia – Matias is inspired by Colombia’s rana dorada, or golden poison frog. This endangered species of frog finds its home on the Pacific coast of Colombia in the Chocó Rainforest.
If you find yourself face to face with one of these cute critters in the rainforests, snap a picture, but maybe don’t touch them – their glands contain enough poison to kill two African bull elephants. Historically, the residents have used this poison on their darts during hunts for food. If things get rough in Cris Tales, maybe you can feed Matias to your enemies?
Matias isn’t the only golden part of Cris Tales though. St. Clarity, a location we’ve detailed before is inspired by the port city of Cartagena in Colombia. The dress you’ll see in St. Clarity is inspired by the bright, flowy dress of this port city and beach destination, and the main gates of the upper terrace of St. Clarity reflect the golden yellow city gates and clock tower.
When you reach St. Clarity in Cris Tales, you’ll see a grave disparity between the city’s working class and the rich. The lower section of the city experiences flooding and pulls directly from the flooding that occurs in areas of Colombian cities with poor drainage systems. In Cris Tales, you’ll have the option to do something about the problem, if you choose.
While we’re not quite ready to dive deeply into the other locations of Cris Tales like the festive town of Neva Tulira and its bird-people, or the working-class city of Cinder inside an active volcano, rest assured that those locations and stories continue to pull from Colombia’s rich and diverse heritage.
We can’t wait to share more about these areas, the game’s story, and how this endemic fantasy world of Cris Tales is coming together in the coming months. In the meantime, please check out the demo for Cris Tales and if you like it, tell your friends about it and come chat with us on Discord. We’re always happy to talk. Happy gaming!
Cris Tales Demo
Discover a unique combination of branching stories, innovative combat, and classic RPG gameplay in Cris Tales’ exciting and unforgettable exploration of how our actions echo through time. Join the newly awakened Time Mage, Crisbell, and her fantastical companions in a fantasy world facing a grim future. The powerful Time Empress and her forces threaten to bring about a cataclysm tearing apart Crystallis and the other four Kingdoms of the region.
To stop the Time Empress and rewrite the future of the land, you will embark on a harrowing journey across the kingdoms, meeting and recruiting powerful allies to aid in the fight. Master their abilities and Crisbell’s unique Time Magic to overcome mighty foes: send them into the past to face their weaker, younger selves; to the future where they’ve succumbed to all the damage of a poison applied in the present; or create your own strategies in this one-of-a-kind combat system. Your choices in this world will have far-reaching consequences for everyone you meet. Peer into the past, act in the present, and watch as your choices dynamically change the future — all on one screen as you play!
• A Love Letter to Classic JRPGs – Inspired by timeless JRPGs like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Valkyrie Profile, and modern classics like Bravely Default and Persona 5, meet and recruit a unique cast of teammates, challenge myriad enemies, and make your way through an expansive world.
• Experience the Past, Present, and Future Simultaneously – Peer into and learn from the past, decide on actions in the present, and alter the course of the future in ways that will reshape the world dynamically depending on the choices you make.
• Master Strategic Turn-Based Combat – Warp your enemies into the past or future, synchronize attacks for enhanced group abilities, and master the timing of attack and defense to go beyond your party’s limits in combat.
• Uncover a Fascinating Story & Characters – The Empress’ plot to destroy the world is complex and layered. Use your wits and recruit powerful allies throughout the world to uncover and undo her multi-faceted web and make your way to the True Ending of this enchanting tale.
• Discover a Beautiful World – Climb aboard an airship or boat and traverse this beautifully hand-drawn 2D fairytale world. From the shining kingdom of Crystallis to the slums of Saint Clarity, discover each unique location and shape its future.
Credit: Source link